Protect Your Smartphone and Your Personal Information
With so much personal data stored in today’s smartphones, it is especially important to be proactive in protecting yourself.
To protect private data on a device in the event that it is lost or stolen, Cellcom encourages customers to do the following:
- Lock handsets with a pass code to prevent access and use of the device.
- For smartphones, use a mobile security application. A number of applications have features to locate, lock or clear personal information from a missing cell phone.
- Back up photos, videos, contacts and emails that you would want if your phone ever went missing. Save them to your computer, a USB drive or cloud service.
In the event that your phone goes missing, Cellcom suggests the following action steps:
- Contact Cellcom's customer care immediately in the event that a device is lost or stolen. Customer care can suspend service to the phone to prevent use of existing service on the line and review options to temporarily or permanently replace the device.
- If you believe your phone has been stolen, contact the police to file a report. Cellcom works with local law enforcement officials on cases related to cell phone theft.
- Use your mobile security to lock, locate and erase the private data on your device. Remember that safety should be your number one priority, so please do not try to recover your phone on your own.
Cellcom has signed on to a nationwide initiative to deter smartphone thefts, as well as to educate and protect wireless users. CTIA and the wireless industry partnered with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and law enforcement agencies to develop four steps to help deter smartphone thefts and protect consumer data. Learn more about the voluntary steps on CTIA’s website.