The optional software upgrade posted below provides two key additional enhancements for your HTC Hero:
- Phone calls: Greatly reduces the lag in call connection
- Twitter app: Fixes username and password error issue
In addition, this optional software upgrade still provides the key enhancements for your HTC Hero that were available with the June 28, 2010 upgrade:
- Android 2.1 OS (Éclair)
- Support for additional Microsoft Exchange security policies
- MMS capabilities
- Google Navigation
- Voice dialing
- Call-connect vibration notification
- Detailed battery usage information
- Pinch to view and jump to other panels on home screen
- Improved Android Market interface
- New camera interface
- Wider selection of HTC widgets
As this upgrade is optional, you will be expected to install this upgrade from your home. These instructions are designed to walk you through the installation step by step. The upgrade requires the data cable included in your HTC Hero box and a PC running on Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher, Windows Vista or Windows 7. If you are attempting to perform this upgrade using a Mac operating system we encourage you to visit one of our retail locations for assistance.
WARNING: Installing this software will erase your current user data. After your device is upgraded it is not possible to go back to the original version. Please see instructions below for details. During the upgrade process, do not attempt to make/receive calls, press any buttons on your device or disconnect the device from the USB cable as this will stop the upgrade and your device may be rendered inoperable! Also, if you pick an upgrade not designed for Cellcom your device could be rendered inoperable which is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
If you are in need of any assistance with the install, please call 800-229-1235. For additional assistance, you may call 866-449-8358.
Please read the following important notes before starting the upgrade:
Before you proceed, please confirm that this software upgrade is a newer version than what is currently loaded on your device. If it is the same version and your device is operating normally, there is no need to reload the software. To determine what version is running on your device navigate to Home > Menu > Settings > About phone and tap on Software Information. If your software version number is lower than the version listed in the package, you should proceed with this upgrade. If you already have 2.1 on your device, the new build number is 2.38.568.1 and the older version is 2.37.568.1.
IMPORTANT – Back up your data before you begin
This software upgrade will delete all information from your device. It is necessary to ensure that you back up your information before proceeding with this upgrade.
Calendar and contacts
- If you are syncing your device with your Google account, log into the Gmail service and verify your data is up-to-date
- If you are syncing your device via HTC Sync, log into your PC and verify your data is up-to-date
- If you are syncing your device via Exchange Activesync, log into your Exchange account and verify your data is up-to-date
- If you are using another backup solution, verify the data is up to date with that solution
Text and picture messages
Text and picture messages will be deleted with this software upgrade. You can back-up text and picture messages by forwarding them to an email address.
- Open the Messaging application
- Tap and hold on the desired text or picture message
- Tap Forward
- Enter an email address then tap Send
Applications will be deleted with this software upgrade. You will need to re-download the desired applications from the Market after this upgrade completes. If you choose, you can use an android application to backup your applications (like appbrain or mycontentbackup) but this is done at your own risk and there are no guarantees this will accurately transfer the applications and/or the data tied to those.
Pictures, Video, Music, Media, and other files
Pictures, video, music, and other media saved on the microSD card will not be affected by this upgrade. The memory card should be removed from the device before the upgrade.
Before you run the ROM upgrade Utility (RUU), make sure you have done the following:
- Backed up the data on your device
- Standby or hibernation mode of your PC has been disabled
- Close all running applications on the PC
- Set aside approximately 25 minutes to allow the device to upgrade
- Charged the battery to at least 30%
- Download and install the HTC Sync software on your PC if it is not already installed. This software can be downloaded from HTC directly by going to this link: http://www.htc.com/www/SupportDownload.aspx?p_id=283&cat=3&dl_id=933 (NOTE: The minimum required HTC Sync version is 2.0.28.)
- Download the Android 2.1 upgrade file for the HTC Hero by selecting the Cellcom tab from http://pcdphones.com/our-devices/support/adr6250upgrade
- Connect your HTC Hero to your PC using the supplied USB cable
- If the HTC Sync application appears on the screen of your PC, you may simply dismiss the wizard by pressing the Cancel button
- Please note that you may need to restart your computer.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to install the upgrade for your HTC Hero
- Please note that it takes a decent amount of time to reboot the device. Please do not pull the battery or do anything mentioned in the above section and wait for the reboot to take its course.
WARNING: During the upgrade process, do not attempt to make/receive calls, press any buttons on your device or disconnect the device from the USB cable as this will stop the upgrade and your device may be rendered inoperable!
If you have a problem with the connection between your device and PC be sure to check the connection type in your device. This can be done in the device via Settings menu > Connect to PC. Ensure that “HTC Sync” is selected.
HTC Sync will work with the following operating systems: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) or higher, Windows Vista or Windows 7.
The warranty will continue under all terms outlined with this upgrade to the Cellcom 2.1 package.
If you are in need of any assistance with the install, please call 800-229-1235 and somebody will help you. For additional assistance, you may call 866-449-8358.