What is an eSIM?
An eSIM is a digital SIM that eliminates the need for a physical SIM card. A traditional SIM card is a physical chip, provided by your carrier, that is inserted into a device and contains important information to allow your device to connect to the cellular network. An eSIM (embedded SIM) is already built into your device so there is nothing to insert, swap, or keep track of. And it’s more secure – someone can’t remove the physical SIM card if your iPhone is lost or stolen. In just a few simple steps, you are ready to make calls, send messages, and browse the web.
What are the benefits of eSIM for handsets?
- Service activation becomes easier because you no longer have to deal with a small, plastic SIM card. Additionally, for customers switching to Cellcom, an eSIM can be activated over the phone or online.
- Customers can stay connected for less while traveling abroad by activating an eSIM plan in the country they are visiting. eSIMs make it easier to temporarily switch to a local carrier while traveling, without removing the SIM card from your home carrier.
Which Cellcom devices are eSIM capable?
Apple iPhone 14 Series
Apple iPhone 13 Series
Apple iPhone 12 Series
Apple iPhone SE 3rd gen
Apple Watch GPS+Cellular
How to activate your new iPhone via eSIM
There are three easy ways to activate you new iPhone via eSIM. Choose the option that works best for you.
- Visit cellcom.com/activate and follow the onscreen prompts
- Call Cellcom Customer Care at 800-236-0055 and request activation
- Come into one of Cellcom's retail locations
You can learn more about eSIM on iPhone here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212780.
Installing Your Cellular Plan on Your Existing iPhone
Ready to Install
Tap Continue to
eSIM will begin
connecting to network
is complete and
ready to use
How to transfer Cellcom service from your old iPhone to your new iPhone.
Transferring your Cellcom service to a new iPhone is made easy with the self-service eSIM Quick Transfer feature. While setting up your new iPhone, follow the onscreen instructions to transfer your physical SIM or eSIM. Your iPhone will walk you through the process step by step.
If you wish to transfer your Cellcom service to your new iPhone after initial setup, follow the steps under Transfer a physical SIM or eSIM on your previous iPhone to an eSIM on your new iPhone after setup at this link: About eSIM on iPhone - Apple Support
Note: Prior to completing eSIM Quick Transfer, please make sure you have the following:
- An iPhone Xs or newer
- The most recent version of iOS Software downloaded
- The latest Cellcom SIM
How do I activate an iPhone with eSIM if I don’t have access to a Wi-Fi network?
If you have an eSIM only iPhone 14 or iPhone 14 Pro model and you don’t have a Wi-Fi network, Apple has a new solution to activate your eSIM. During the Set Up process, you can choose to continue without Wi-Fi. This allows you to setup your new eSIM without Wi-Fi –at no cost to you. All other models will need to be connected to Wi-Fi to complete activation.
How do I activate an eSIM if I bring my own device to Cellcom?
If your device is unlocked, you can do one of the following:
- After signing up for service at cellcom.com/byod, visit cellcom.com/activate and follow the onscreen prompts
- Call Customer Care at 800-236-0055 to request activation
- Go to one of our local retail locations
How do I know if my iPhone is unlocked?
- Go to Settings > General, and tap About
- Under Carrier Lock, you should see a message that says "No SIM restrictions." If you don't see that message, contact your current carrier.
What should I do if my iPhone is lost or stolen with an active eSIM?
If your iPhone with an active eSIM is lost or stolen, please call Customer Care at 800-236-0055.
What happens to my cellular plan if I erase my eSIM?
If you delete your eSIM, your cellular plan has not been cancelled. To generate a new eSIM, please call Customer Care at 800-236-0055.
Will activating an eSIM lock my iPhone to Cellcom?
Your devices lock status is not impacted by the use of an eSIM.