International Travel FAQs
Can I use my phone when traveling internationally?
You can use your phone if you have an approved international capable device, or you can rent an approved world device from Cellcom.
Contact Cellcom at 1-800-236-0055 to learn about our international travel options and to find out if your handset will work internationally.
When roaming internationally, will Wi-Fi work?
Most smartphone models are capable of Wi-Fi and should work on most Wi-Fi networks when internationally roaming. If your device is capable of using Wi-Fi, it should work on a Wi-Fi signal even if data is disabled.
What charges can I expect?
Your domestic rate plan does not apply when you use an international SIM. Instead international roaming charges will appear on your invoice. The usage will be broken out into the following categories:
- Voice Minutes: Intl Roaming (including, checking voicemail)
- Incoming text: QT Intl Rm In / Outgoing text: QT Intl Rm Out
- Data: Intl Data (kb)
If you are renting a device for travelling, you will be charged based on your current wireless rate plan if you have your domestic Cellcom SIM in your device. If you have your international SIM in your device, you will be charged international roaming rates.
If you are renting a device, you will not be charged for the device rental unless the device is damaged, lost, or stolen. However, you are responsible for all charges applied to usage while you have a rental device.
How can I check if my device will receive service while traveling?
For general device information, please visit the device page on cellcom.com. If you don't see your device listed, or if you do not have an international capable device, contact Cellcom at 1-800-236-0055.
How can I contact Cellcom while traveling internationally?
If you have any issues with your phone while traveling internationally, contact Customer Care at (+1) 800-236-0055 or email Cellcom at IntlHelp@cellcom.com.
- To make a call back to the U.S., dial +1 area code and phone number.
- The international loaner device does support Exchange email. Cellcom recommends you work with your IT department to provide account information, which will be needed for the email to be set-up, prior to travel.
- If you have a gmail account, you can upload your contacts to the international loaner device.
- It is unlikely that picture messaging will work when traveling internationally.
- If you have an iPhone, iMessage and Facetime Audio will work on Wi-Fi.
What are the things I should know prior to travel?
If you currently have a device that is capable of international travel, or if you'd like to rent a world phone, stop in at any Cellcom retail or agent location to get set up. You will need an international SIM card that will be provisioned for traveling.
If you are not planning to use data when traveling, Cellcom can shut data off, so you are not charged for any unexpected data usage. Your device may still transmit and receive data without this intervention.
What is International Long Distance?
International Long Distance allows you to dial an international exchange from the United States. In order to have international long-distance capability on your phone, you need to contact Cellcom Customer Care at 1-800-236-0055 to have a feature added to your account.
When you place an international long-distance call, you will be charged an international long-distance rate. Additionally, you will use minutes from your voice package if you are not on an unlimited plan. If you have used all included minutes from your plan, you will be charged the additional airtime rate.
To make an international call, simply:
- Dial the international access code +, 001 or 011
- Dial the appropriate country code for the country you are calling
- Dial the number you are calling
- Press Send